Mushroom Rice Balls
- 3 cups ofshort grain rice
- 5 shitake mushrooms
- 50g burdock
- 1 carrot
- 100g assorted fresh mushrooms
- 1 sheet of abura-age deep fried tofu
- 1 cup kombu dashi
- 3 tbs sake
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pickled ginger to serve
- Radish, ginger and cabbage pickle to serve.
Wash rice until water is clear. Soak for 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the shitake and soak for at least 10 minutes. Drain reserve water and slice thinly.
Shave the burdock and carrot into thin slices. Cut the mushrooms into bite sized pieces. Place the abura-age pouch into a colander and pour boiling water over it to remove excess oil, then cut into thin strips.
Put all mushrooms, burdock, carrot and abura- age into a large saucepan or rice cooker, add the rice, the reserved shitake water and the konbu dashi. Add the sake, soy sauce and salt and then cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
Turn heat to high cook for another 5 minutes (leave lid on)
Turn heat to as low as possible for another 5 minutes.
Turn heat off and leave to finish cooking in uits own steam for further10 minutes
Use hands to form balls and serve with pickles and ginger.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tbs salt
- 1 cup soymilk
- plain flour to coat
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 red capsicum
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 150g vegan cheese
- 8 sundried tomatoes
- 10 green olives crushed
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 1 preserved lemon
- sprigs of dill and corriander
Cut eggplant lengthways into 1cm thick slices.Take 6 of the largest slices and sprinkle with salt, stand for 30 mins then rinse and dry them.
Soak the slices in the soymilk for 2 minutes then coat with flour.Pan fry in half the olive oil for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Cut capsicum into large flat pieces,cook skin side up under a hot grill until the skin blackens, allow to cool and peel off skin and cut the flesh into strips.
Mix together the salt, pepper and cumin and sprinkle over the eggplant and capsicum.
Crumble the vegan cheese.
On 2 large serving plates put a slice of eggplant top with capsicum strips then crumbled vegan cheese.
Then add another eggplant layer, sundried tomatoes, olives, vegan cheese and basil leaves.Top with final eggplant layer.
Place the remaining oil in the blender with the flesh of the preserved lemon then drizzle onto each stack.
Top with ground pepper, a little more cumin and dill or corriander sprigs.
Couscous and Chickpea salad with creamy walnut dressing
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 75g of snow peas
- 1 small lettuce
- 1 small curly leaf lettuce. (curly endive)
- 2 cups of prepared and cooled couscous
- 300g of cooked chick peas
- sweet paprika to dust
- 30g walnuts
- 1/2 cup of natural soy yoghurt
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Steam asparagus until tender and crisp (about 2 mins)
- Place snow peas into a heat proof bowl and cover with boiling water for 1 minute then plunge asparagus and snow peas into cold water and drain well.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a plate and add couscous in the centre, top with snowpeas,chickpeas and asparagus.
- To make the dressing place walnuts, soy yoghurt, lemon juice, rind, thyme, salt and pepper into a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Drizzle over salad and dust with paprika.
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 2 leeks sliced into bite sized pieces
- 3 scallions cut into bite sied pieces
- 1 red capsicum thinly sliced
- vegetable oil for frying and driling
- soy and sesame dipping sauces
- 125 grams all purposeflour
- 2 tbs of rice flour
- 2 tbs of potato starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds toasted
- 240 ml water
- Heat the sesame oil in a saucepan and saute vegetables for 1 minute over medium heat. Transfer to a dish to cool.
- Combine the batter ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. The batter should be pouring consistency and not too thick.
- Heat the frying pan and grease with a little oil. Pour a ladel full of batter into the pan and spread to make a thin crepe.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the veggies over the crepe and press gently with a spatula.
- Drizzle a little of the oil around the sides of the crepe and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Flip over and cook the other side for 1 minute, then slide onto a serving dish.
- Repeat process to make 4 in total
- Serve with dipping sauces.
- 2 kg large ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 green capsicum, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely diced
- 1/2 a bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1/2 alemon
- bread for serving
- Peel and coursely chop the tomatoes. Put aside a little of the diced vegetables to serve on the side of the soup.
- Place the tomatoes and the remaining diced vegetables, parsley, both oils, garlic, salt and pepper into a blender one cup at a time and blend until smooth. Pourit into a glass bowl and refrigerate until it is chilled. Stir in the lemon juice.
- To serve pourinto bowls, and present a bowlof diced vegetables on the side with fresh bread.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 140 mls apple juice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- ground black pepper
- 455 grams or 2 cups of tempeh cubed
- 340 grams mushrooms
- 2tbs vegetable margarine
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 225 grams of tofu
- juice of 1 small lemon
- Crush the garlic. Combine in a large saucepan 2 tbs oil, soy sauce, apple juice, ginger, paprika, pepper and the garlic. Cube the tempeh and add to the mixture in the saucepan. Cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Slice the mushrooms. Melt the margarine in a frying pan and add the mushrooms.Sprinkle in the basil, and grate a little nutmeg. Stir over a medium to low heat for about 5 minutes until tender. Add the mushrooms to the tempeh and stir well.
- Put the tofu, remaining 2tbs of oil and lemon juice in a liquidizer and blend thoroughly. Add the mixture to the tempeh / mushroom mixture and heat on a low heat until it is warmed through.
- Serve with noodles or rice.
From. Easy Vegan Cooking. Leah Leneman.